Job Title: Community Outreach Assistant (Internship)
Reports to: Managing Director Location: Montreal
Start Date: 22 July 2020 Status: Contract (6 Months)
Salary: $17/ hr Working Hours: 35 / Week
BCRC is a growing, resource-based organization that strengthens community capacity by providing professional support to organizations and individuals in need. The Centre is committed to helping visible minority youth rekindle their dreams, and achieve their full potential. We provide and implement professional innovative support services to individuals, communities, para-public and public organizations. We also develop and run health, education, socio-culture, and community economic development programs.
Under the Digital Skills for Youth Program, coordinated by Communautique, BCRC is looking for a Community Outreach Assistant Intern. Reporting to the Managing Director The intern will fulfill the role of a Community Outreach Assistant to the organization. The intern will attend an online digital training to acquire skills that can be applied on the job. With the demands of our society shifting due to Covid-19, the intern will assist in building creative and flexible strategies to assist the organization in reaching out to and serving marginalized communities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in online digital marketing classes
- Updates and manages various social media platforms
- Design marketing materials such as brochures, flyers, and handouts
- Attend community events and meetings as a representative of the organization and foster partnerships with community members and organizations.
- Manage the organization’s presence in social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Youtube, and Instagram
- Help develop a social media strategy for the organization
- Assist with the management of the organization’s website and newsletter
- Engage in dialogue with the public through social media
- Regularly report progress on community outreach activities to the Executive Director
Desired Skills / Qualifications:
- High school Diploma
- Knowledge of and ability to use computer
- Strong communication skills (especially written)
- Demonstrated ability to employ critical thinking and effective communication skills, work independently,
- Bilingual (English and French)
- Working knowledge of the above social media platforms
- The ability to work through stringent deadlines with acute attention to detail is required.
Eligibility criteria for interns
- To be eligible for the program, interns must meet the following criteria:
- “Be between 15 and 30 years old at the start of the internship;
- “Have completed post-secondary studies;
- “Have the legal right to work in Canada;
- “Be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or a person who has been granted refugee status in Canada;
- “Not receiving employment insurance (EI) benefits during the internship;
- “Self-assess as underemployed, that is, they are employed below their educational level or have part-time jobs; and
- “Not have already completed an internship as part of a Youth Strategy program of the Career Focus component.
All interested candidates ready for this challenge are requested to send their resume to the attention of Ms. Raeanne Francis, Managing Director, firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until July 22, 2020. Please note that we will only contact those candidates retained for an interview. Selected applicants must provide attestation to academic study. BCRC hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. At BCRC we provide equal employment opportunities to the four designated groups and we welcome applications from women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. We thank you for your interest in working for BCRC.